After a 4½-month hiatus, the 40th session of the Oversight Committee was held on January 15, 2021, releasing new data (as of June 30, 2020) from the fourth and fifth rounds of the Thyroid Ultrasound Examination (TUE). The pandemic restrictions have essentially stalled the school-based screening for the fifth round, and the only cancer data updated was that of the fourth round.
- The fourth round: 6 new cases diagnosed as suspicious or malignant, and 3 new surgical cases.
- Total number of suspected/confirmed thyroid cancer has increased by 6 to 252: 116 in the first round (including a single case of benign tumor), 71 in the second round, 31 in the third round, 27 in the fourth round, and 7 in Age 25 Milestone Screening.
- Total number of surgically confirmed thyroid cancer cases has increased by 4 to 202 (101 in the first round, 54 in the second round, 27 in the third round, 16 in the fourth round, and 4 in Age 25 Milestone Screening)
- Data reported is as of June 30, 2020. (Delayed reporting persists after the fourth quarterly session was skipped in 2019 and now also in 2020.)
- A list of official English translation of the TUE results is available on the website for the Radiation Medical Science Center of the Fukushima Health Management Survey. No translation is available for the 2020 sessions at this time.
The fourth round, scheduled from April 1, 2018 through March 31, 2020, is still ongoing. Between April 1, 2020 and June 30, 2020, the primary examination gained only 435 more participants, raising the current participation rate by 0.1% to 61.5%. A reminder: This is still below what the prior rounds registered (81.7% for the first round, 71.0% for the second round, and 64.7% for the third round), although it is approaching the third round.
Below is the summary of the previous screening results for the suspected/confirmed thyroid cancer cases. This information, already mentioned above except for the second round, can be difficult to locate in print. In particular, a breakdown of the "A2" assessment is only verbally reported during the Oversight Committee sessions.
Definition"A1": no ultrasound findings."A2": ultrasound findings of nodules ≤ 5.0 mm and/or cysts ≤ 20.0 mm."B": ultrasound findings of nodules ≥ 5.1 mm and/or cysts ≥ 20.1 mm.
- Second round (71 cases): 33 cases with A1, 32 cases with A2 (7 nodules and 25 cysts), 5 cases with B, 1 case previously unexamined
- Third round (31 cases): 7 cases with A1, 14 cases with A2 (4 nodules and 10 cysts), 7 cases with B, 3 cases previously unexamined
- Fourth round (27 cases): 5 cases with A1, 16 cases with A2 (4 nodules and 12 cysts), 5 cases with B, 1 case previously unexamined
- Age 25 Milestone Screening (7 cases): 1 case with A2 (it was never reported if nodule or cyst), 1 case with B, 5 cases previously unexamined